Sunday, December 2, 2007

Tree Crashes Down on Brook Drive!

Shorehill Estates was covered with a beautiful blanket of snow on Sunday morning. As we all enjoyed the serenity of the falling snow and the warmth of our fires, my nephew called to say he had heard a loud cracking noise coming from somewhere behind his home on Marine View Drive. Ron and Tom decided to take a walk up Brook Drive to make sure all was well. Within minutes of them leaving, from inside the house, I heard the sound of numerous loud cracking noises concluded by what was unmistakably the falling of a large tree. I wait for a few minutes and hearing no noise from Brook Drive grabbed my coat and boots and headed out to see if Ron and Tom were safe. As I started up Brook Drive my heart calmed as I saw Ron and Tom standing in amazement, staring at the tree that had fallen directly on the footsteps their boots had made just moments before. All is well. They are safe! Brooke's cabin is safe! And of course Ron and Tom have replaced the heartbeats of such a close call with the excitement of scavaging the wood from the downed maple. Let it never be said that winter on the canal is not just as eventful as the summer is!

No comments: